Reporting Child Abuse

When & how to Report Abuse:
If you suspect someone under the age of 18 is being abused or neglected, or is at risk for abuse or neglect, you should make a report to your local Child Protective Services (CPS) office.

Call the state-wide Hotline at 1-866-363-4276

(1-866- END-HARM)


Information to Include:
Please take a moment before calling to put together as much of the following information as possible:

  1. Name, age and address of the child.
  2. Name, address, and other identifying information about the parent or other caregiver.
  3. The type of abuse you witnessed including information on the extent of the abuse and who caused the abuse.
  4. Information about any previous incidents or concerns.
    Any other information that might be helpful.

You do not need to know all of this information to make a report, but the more specific you can be, the easier it will be for CPS to determine if an investigation is needed.

Even if CPS does not investigate, the information will be kept on file and may aid in future investigations.

Even if you are not a mandated reporter under state law, you have an obligation to protect children in your community. You cannot be held liable for making a report in good faith. You do not have to know for sure that a child is being abused or neglected to make a report. A trained investigator will make that determination.

Find out More
Washington State Attorney General Website at:

The Child Welfare Information Gateway at:

Washington State Department of Children Youth and Families website at: